Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I'M IN A GROOVE , OR IS IT A RUT?

Monday 17 December 2007

WMESB™: 4 people on it but 2 got off at Rosyth
I advised the driver at the Ferrytoll that although it wasn’t re-registered yet the X57 would now stop at the Learmonth Hotel. He seemed happy enough.

Thankfully this is my last week before having two weeks off before Christmas.

Spent the early evening in Tesco and then Asda buying a new digital camera and then an SD memory card. Then it was time for University Challenge, in which Edinburgh University got a right doing. The GLW watched Americas’ Next Top Stick Insect and did what I do best – potter.

Tuesday 18 December 2007

Today I have the car and my fear at not getting a parking space (always unfounded) gets me into work at 6.30am. I don’t start until 8 but I enjoy the peace and quiet until everyone else comes in.

I had a look at Andrew Collins’ blog last night and I read his choices for his favourite singles and albums of the year. The most depressing thing is that I am so out of touch with music that I only recognise a handful of artists and have very few of the records themselves. It never used to be this way; I used to have my finger on the pulse of what “The kids” were listening to. Hell, I was one of the kids. I’ll try and put together a list of my favourite records from this year but they’ll almost certainly be re-issues from years gone by. The only record I seem to have in common with Andrew is the Kate Nash album.

My favourite singles/albums/compilations of 2007:

Kate Nash – Made of Bricks LP
Jim Gipson - Just To Reach You (6-track CD from Joe's ex-bandmate in Black Nite Crash)
Various – The Hair, The Teeth, The Smell (compilation CD made by Dave)
Various - Poems From Wee June (compilation CD made by Dave)
Various – Independent and Free (Neon Tetra compilation CD)
Pale Fountains – Pacific Street LP
Pale Fountains – From Across The Kitchen Table LP
The Orchids – Good To Be A Stranger LP
Ally Kerr – Could Have Been A Contender CD single
Fountains of Wayne - Traffic and Weather LP
Fontella Bass – Best of LP
Various – The Queens of King (Ace girl group compilation)
Various – Here Comes The Girls Volume 3 and 9
Pete YornNightcrawler LP
Various – Dead (Ace compilation of “death” songs)
Various – These Ghoulish Things (Ace compilation of Hallowe’en songs)
BMX Bandits – Radio Sessions

Note I prefer to call albums LPs rather than CDs. To me, a record is either a single or an album (yes, I know you can get EPs and mini-LPs too); CDs, like 7”s and 12”s, are simply formats.

Wednesday 19 December 2007

A foggy morning in the Kingdom and no problems on the buses.

Yesterday I finished work early so I could pick up Flick from pre-school before returning her later to perform in her Christmas concert. In between her mummy and granny were collected from the station.

Of course, like every other parent and grandparent there, we thought our child was the best but they all did brilliantly. After some mulled wine and mince pies and a cup of tea at home, I drove granny home and listened to my mate Dave’s compilation on the way home. I stopped off to get us chips (which were disgusting) and then watched “Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares”. Tonight it’s the last in the series of “The Secret Millionaire”. I’ll get the tissues ready!

Another day, another quiz cock-up on Forth One. They asked in which year "Do They Know It's Christmas?" was the number 1 at Hogmanay. They were looking for an answer of "1984" but of course the answer is 1984 or 1989 or 2004!! I did get a namecheck for pointing out the mistake but that' about the fifth one I've pointed out this year. This is what happens when non-quizzers try and write quiz questions - no research and no art. I have offered my services but they're not interested. Their loss.

No comments: