Tuesday, January 15, 2008

AND THE NOMINATIONS ARE…

It's Brits time again. My predictions/desired outcomes are in BOLD and my comments are in italics.

British Male Solo Artist

Jamie T, Mark Ronson, Mika , Newton Faulkner, Richard Hawley

Mark Ronson to pip Richard Hawley but only due to a bigger profile/more hits. Newton who? Get you hair cut, son. Is Jamie T Mr T’s son?

British Female Solo Artist

Bat For Lashes, Kate Nash, KT Tunstall, Leona Lewis, PJ Harvey

Kate to get it ahead the X Factor karaoke queen. Bat for Lashes? Aren’t there four of them? PJ Harvey is obviously the new Kate Bush when it comes to Brits nominations.

British Group

Arctic Monkeys, Editors, Girls Aloud, Kaiser Chiefs, Take That

Personally I would have gone for the Arctic Monkeys but I think Take That’s strong body of work during their comeback will swing it. Girls Aloud? Fuck off. Kaiser Chiefs? Aren't they just the new Herman's Hermits?

Mastercard British Album

Arctic Monkeys – Favourite Worst Nightmare, Leona Lewis – Spirit, Mark Ronson – Version, Mika – Life In Cartoon Motion, Take That – Beautiful World

Again I think it’ll be the Arctic Monkeys versus Take That, with Take That winning again.

British Breakthrough Act
(Top Five Selected By The Academy. Winner Chosen By Radio 1 Listeners)

Bat For Lashes, Kate Nash, Klaxons, Leona Lewis, Mika

Kate Nash to win this ahead of Mika and that Lewis woman.

British Live Act
(Nominees Chosen By A Panel Of Experts In Association With The Live Music Forum. Winner Chosen By Radio 2 Listeners).

Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Klaxons, Muse, Take That

Arctic Monkeys to be compensated for not winning the Best Group or Album with this award.

British Single
(Nominees Voted For By UK Commercial Radio Station Listeners And The Sun Bizarre Column Readers. Winner Chosen Live On The Night).

Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love, Mika – Grace Kelly, Take That – Shine, Kaiser Chiefs – Ruby, Sugababes – About You Now, Mark Ronson Ft Amy Winehouse – Valerie, Kate Nash – Foundations, The Hoosiers – Worried About Ray, James Blunt – 1973, Mutya Buena – Real Girl
They haven’t even selected Take That or Mutya Buena’s best singles of 2007! My personal choice would be Foundations but Kate’s accent will split her vote, in which case I would plump for The Sugarbabes. However, I think “Bleeding Love” will take the gong on account of her dominance towards the end of the year – unfortunately.

International Male Solo Artist

Bruce Springsteen, Kanye West, Michael Buble, Rufus Wainwright, Timbaland

I suspect Kanye West will win this but his music leaves me very cold, although footballers seem to love him. They may even give it to whoever makes the trip over to play live.

International Female Solo Artist

Alicia Keys, Bjork, Feist, Kylie Minogue, Rihanna

Rihanna to win this even though she’s known for that one nippy song. Is it just me or do Bjork and/or Kylie get nominated every year in this category, irrespective of output? See also Kate Bush/PJ Harvey.

International Group

Arcade Fire, Eagles, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, White Stripes

Tricky one this one and I think it’s down to the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire. I’ll go for Dave Grohl’s gang, if only because I prefer them.

International Album

Arcade Fire – Neon Bible, Eagles – Long Road Out Of Eden, Foo Fighters – Echoes Silence Patience & Grace, Kings Of Leon – Because Of The Times, Kylie Minogue – X

Arcade Fire to get this one to compensate for not winning International Group although I suspect one artist may win both if can’t be there in person to collect the award(s)

Critics’ Choice Award


ADELE

Who?

Outstanding Contribution to Music

Sir Paul McCartney

Obviously the biggest star they could get to play live on the night. Yeah, he probably deserves it but when was the last time that he actually made a decent record?

I was going to leave my Brits predictions as a standalone Blog entry but then I got wound up by something at work – something I must share with you all.

We have an Intranet site at work and there is a Feedback page where staff can make comments/complaints about various topics. Over the past few days one particular subject has been discussed a lot (I won’t go into details) but one thing about the discussions that has wound me up is the fact that some of the entries have been made, completely, in block capitals. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Sorry, aaarrrggghhh!!!

As is my want, and right, I posted an entry making the point about it been classed as “shouting” and that if people wanted their comments to be taken seriously and read they should make their entries in a more accessible fashion. Block capitals, piss poor spelling and appalling grammar is not the way to do it. With the reaction of some people you’d have thought that I’d shot the Queen!! I’ve had two personal attacks, with one branding me as a “vulture” and another says that I have been “undermining the views expressed”. I haven’t undermined any views, only the way they’ve been made. Don’t people have standards anymore?

My brother is a teacher and he says they’re not allowed to correct pupils’ poor spelling anymore. I think that’s appalling. He says that some of his current class of 12 year olds can barely write, let alone spell. What is the education system coming to? No discipline and no basic skills is a recipe for disaster. The GLW is horrified by some of the application forms she has to sift through when looking for new staff. Whilst spellcheckers are by no means perfect there’s no excuse for not running an application or presentation through one to “tidy” things up.
People, you can't live with them and you can't live with them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for all of this. I'll be making sure I steer well claer of The Brits (again).

I have no idea who most of those acts are.

Suroxi said...

Got my cheque today:)

Matthew Rudd said...

I'm confused by the Live Act category - Radio 2 listeners going to see Arctic Monkeys? Nah.