Wednesday, January 07, 2009

SEARCH AND DESTROY

I started last year like a whirling dervish, especially in terms of writing. I had a quite a few Top 5s in the Recommends section of The Scotsman before illness, particularly the "black dog" took hold. 2009 has started in similar fashion and hopefully I won't "tail off". My first Top 5 of the year is HERE. One more has already been sent off and today I had umpteen decent ideas for further pieces. Usually I have good ideas and either forget to act on them or forget to write them down. My motto for 2009 is a cross between "Go For It" and/or "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained". This year has already paid dividends by getting paid for some writing. If you don't ask...

I was intrigued to hear that Attic Lights have reworked Dennis Waterman's "I Could Be So Good For You". It's being used as the theme for Channel 5's remake of 80s favourite "Minder". The show airs in February and Attic Lights' version is being released on 16 February, although it'll be available digitally from 12 January. The new six-part "Minder" stars Shane Richie as Arthur Daley's nephew Archie. See the video HERE.

Having slaved over the NME Christmas Quiz for weeks I'll be intrigued to see the answers in the next issue. I thought I'd done pretty well and I'd like to thank people on the forums of Kings of Leon, The Verve, Mojo and Teenage Fanclub for their invaluable help, not forgetting Ross. Cheers. Usually when you ask for help on some band forums there's usually a handful of people whose attitude is "why should we help you?" or "what's in it for me?" so I was pleasantly surprised.

Having filled up my mp3 player (part of a prize won on Radio Forth) I was more than a little perturbed to realise that my headphones were broadcasting in mono - yup, they were knackered. A new pair was purchased at lunchtime and now I'm back in stereo.

Well, Sunday's radio show won't sort itself out...

No comments: